We took 16 skilled position players to Akron for the annual Akron 7 on 7 tournament. We had a very impressive showing winning 5 games and losing only 1 by two points and in the process scoring a tournament high 164 points. Many players had great days and the duo of Al Frey and Joe Havirlak continue to open may eyes when they work together. Andrew Steratore was strong almost all day and had some unbelievable completion streaks during the day. I thought many people played well on defense and Mike Digon did a great job at Mike linebacker and in general leading the Hiller defense. The secondary only had one poor game but that had as much to do with us not having a coverage package in for empty as anything.
A FEW NOTES:
1. Frey had an ubelievable one handed catch versus Massillon on Wednesday.
2. Dan Miller also took a pick back for six against Massillon.
3. Drew Iams showed great improvement at linebacker.
4. Mike Wall bounced back from a bad game to play impressive the rest of the day.
5. Ken Wilkins and Jack Jamerson were taken by the Akron staff for individual workouts, they are both expected to be offered scholarships this weekend.
6. Larry Woods had two very impressive picks during the tournament, and we got better and better safety play as the day went on from Chris Dames and Chuck Sochor.
7. Dusty Avolio had the theft of the tournament stealing the ball right from the receiver and taking it back along way.
8. Jack Jamerson made a couple circus catches early in the day with the Akron staff looking on against Youngstown Ursuline and Kenny Wilkins used his 4.68 Akron clocked speed to beat Ursuline deep twice.
9. Zack Storf converted a nice route in the endzone for six.
10. Aaron Matusky did not allow a sack at center...and the film crew of Gnagey and Bryant were at the top of their game for us filming every game.